Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Mason Jar Pantry and Sippy Cup for Grown-ups

I have something of an obsession with Mason (canning) jars.

Specifically, I'm a big fan of wide-mouth Mason jars, as they make their contents easily accessible, and the white plastic screw-on lids. While these lids cannot be used for preserving, those lids are incredibly helpful for storage and organization; unlike the metal screw-on lids, they come on and off easily, and the white plastic is perfect for labeling with Sharpie. (Tip: If you make a mistake or wish to change the label, scribble over it with a dry-erase marker and the permanent marker will come right off. I use this method to label all of my plastic containers, although it works the best on smoother surfaces, like these lids.)

I re-organized all of the baking and bulk supplies in my pantry using this system. Instead of a lazy susan crowded with a cacophony of various sized packages, falling all over each other, I have a simple and functional pantry that can be easily accessed. Ingredients are found at a glance.
For things I buy in large quantities, or come in large containers, I divide the ingredient up into multiple quart jars -- the quart jars are light and easy to handle, and the multiple containers protect against contamination.
If I find need a larger container than I originally planned, say to hold an extra amount of spice -- I ended up growing a LOT of sage this year -- I can pour the contents in a larger jar and transfer the lid.

Isn't it pretty?

This particular combination is great for storing extra beverages or soups in the fridge. The other day I was making smoothies, and used a wide-mouth pint jar as a glass, and I wished I had a lid. An idea struck me:



Sippy cups for grown-ups! (Er, I mean, travel mugs?)

A quick hole drilled into the plastic lid makes a perfect sippy lid. (We just eyeballed it with the drill bits, but the average straw is 1/4" in diameter.)

I've always been pretty clumsy, and chronic illness has made me particularly prone to dropping things or spilling things, so a close-fitting lid for beverages is nice. In fact, during the the writing of this post, I dropped that lovely smoothie... but didn't make a mess! Unlike a lot of premade mug/lid combos, though, both the jar and lid are easily and completely cleaned, either by hand or in the dishwasher. (No rotten milk smells!) One could always keep leftovers in the fridge by switching to an intact lid, too.

The only problem I've encountered so far is that drinking smoothies from the jar makes my hands a bit cold, so I'm going to work on a crocheted jar sleeve. (Kim from Affairs of Living sells some pretty awesome Mason jar sleeves in her Etsy shop.)

My partner has been agitating for me to buy some of the Mason jar mugs with handles for several years now, so I'll probably give in and get some of those... although we really only need two, so I can make plenty of travel mugs for holiday gift giving next year. (Perhaps put layered hot chocolate mixes in them as a gift? I've been dying to try doing layered soup and bean gifts some year.)

I'll probably also spring for a sprouting lid for my wide-mouth jars; sprouting is at the top of my kitchen project list. I also imagine that particular lid would useful since I've been using the jars to soak dried beans -- instant screw-on strainer!

What are your favorite uses for canning jars?

No comments:

Post a Comment